A coalition made up of Emergency Services District (ESD) 47 and three Municipal Utility Districts (MUDs) was awarded a sidewalk/sidepath project under Harris County Precinct 4’s new “Places for People” (P4P) program. This new program engages the local community to identify and plan sustainable infrastructure projects, such as parks, trails, sidewalks, and drainage improvements. If approved, Harris County Precinct 4 will fund up to 80% of the total cost of the project, with the local partners funding the remaining 20%.
The “Mayde Creek Coalition” proposal consisted of sidewalks and dual-use sidepaths along Greenhouse Road and Saums Road. The purpose of the project is to give the school kids who attend the Mayde Creek elementary, junior high, and high schools safe passage to and from their homes – as well as to improve the connectivity of surrounding neighborhoods to Cullen Park, the West Park Preserve, and the Cullen Park Trail.
Precinct 4 combined the project with its ongoing “Sidewalk Gap Analysis”, championed by Commissioner Briones to significantly improve the safe mobility of pedestrians and cyclists primarily in extraterritorial jurisdictions (ETJ) in Harris County.
The County is proceeding with segments of the Mayde Creek Coalition project, especially where issues that can delay these projects – right-of-way, drainage and utility conflicts – are minimal.
The Cullen Park Trail Connection will connect 29.9 miles of existing trails on the north and south sides of Interstate 10. These trails include the Cullen Park and Mayde Creek Trails on the north side and the Terry Hershey, Mason Creek, and George Bush Park trails on the south.
The City of Houston has been awarded a Highway Safety Improvement Program (HSIP) grant from TXDOT for the portion of the Cullen Park Path along Barker Cypress (Segment 1). This grant provides 90% of the construction funding. We expect the City of Houston will begin work on community outreach, design, and permitting in the second half of 2025, with the current estimated construction window in the first half of 2026.
This segment will be a new side path along Barker Cypress Road. A side path is a 10’ wide shared-use path with a minimum 5’ separation from the road. There will be a standard sidewalk on the Corps of Engineers property on the east side of Barker Cypress Road.
Segment 2, along South Park View from Barker Cypress to Saums, will be a separate project. We have worked with the City of Houston to define the elements and design basis for that section. We are now working on identifying funding sources, particularly area MUDs, with a specific and detailed request - and use their proposed contributions to seek a grant from either TxDOT or Harris County. Since Segments 1 and 2 will be separate projects, they may not be built at the same time. Assuming total funding can be secured, construction could start as early as 2025.
Segment 2 along South Park View Drive consists of filling the sidewalk gaps to provide a continuous pedestrian access route from Barker Cypress to Saums Road. Three crosswalks would be added, and the existing maintenance drive to the Cullen Park parking lot would be upgraded for access. Bicycle accommodation will be provided, but additional community outreach is needed to coordinate the bike lane design with safety and parking concerns along Park Row.
This trail connection would replace the existing path along Barker Cypress Road, used by cyclists and pedestrians today. Despite heavy traffic along Barker Cypress and the lack of adequate space, this path is used frequently by residents on the north side of I-10. As with many corridors in the Greater Houston region , this path is decidedly unsafe. Indeed, as recently as August 2019, a male cyclist traveling on Barker Cypress Road was struck and killed by a vehicle at South Park View Drive.
But it is the trail’s important contribution to our quality of life – helping to make the area north of I-10 a place where people want to live. In our view, this project will benefit our community, not only from a safety perspective for cyclists, but by attracting new, younger residents to the growing apartment communities - who value and increasingly demand walking and hiking paths - and by positively affecting the satisfaction by all residents toward the community in which they live.
Install sidewalks along Lakes of Bridgewater Drive from Westrock Drive to north of Clay Road.